Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Way to Honor our Soldiers

It was quite moving for me to hear my principal read to us the story America’s White Table by Margot Theis Raven. Two other faculty members ceremonially were setting up a small white table as she continued to read Ms. Raven’s words. It inspired me to try to find a way to replicate this for my first graders.


On very short notice, it would be difficult to gather all the needed materials. So, technology came to the rescue. I took a picture sequencing the events of setting up the little white table, placed the pictures in a slideshow, and read the story to my students. They were captivated by the touching words and visualization.


This book is a great story to read on Veteran’s Day. What do you do to honor our American soldiers for their sacrifices?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I was in PA the year this was a Book of the Month, and I was in TX the other day when it was reenacted. Thanks to you, I shared in its power.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.